Monday, May 11, 2015

Arrived in Beijing

Entrance to our hotel
Friday, May 8
Well, we lost a whole day somewhere…. We arrive in Beijing on Friday evening and are met by the assistant to the Director of the China program, Luo Ling. Our 23 year old guide is very friendly and helps us into a hired van and drives us out of the airport to our hotel. Seeing all the tall buildings and neon billboards reminds me of living in Taiwan and I wish Jeremy was here to experience this. We are starving as we get to our hotel, so Luo Ling (who tells us to pronounce her name “Rowling”, as in J.K.Rowling) finds us a noodle restaurant that’s open late and we have our fill.

The hotel is comfortable and clean and there’s a little pond and garden out front with a fancy Chinese gate and red lanterns at the entrance. A little fancier than a Super 8. It has been awhile since I ate in a restaurant where people smoke or slept in a hotel that allowed smoking and I’ve forgotten how unpleasant it is. It’s hard to sleep with the cigarette smell from another room permeating my nose. But, I’m not sure this hotel has a non-smoking section. My room has 3 ashtrays (including one in the bathroom) for the convenience of smokers.

As we landed in the airport the air seemed dark and I wasn’t sure if it was just evening or the famous pollution we hear about. But the prevalence of smoking and the heavy traffic make me think the air is not so clean. As the sun starts to rise now at 5:30 on Saturday morning, we will see if we can see through the thick air. Today, we are going to see the Great Wall!
Beijing cat

No comments:

Post a Comment